Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Sheetie Pie

I can't believe it... Tristen may be twins with Felton but I believe she is my spitting image. Now, some may think she looks like me and some may not see the resemblance but I'm not even talking about looks.

Once upon a time in 1977, I laid on a soft and smelly crib sheet. Oh, it smelled sooooo good. This was my first true love and I went on to name it my sheetie pie. I held on tight to my sheetie pie for many years. And for many years, I am talking... into my high school years. Yes, that is strange I know but I just couldn't part ways with it. My mom would always try to wash it and I would get so mad. I didn't want it to lose "that smell". My parents and sister would argue that it smelled gross but I thought it smelled like heaven. Throughout the years, the once crib sheet eventually became a group of strings. The strings eventually evaporated and became NOTHING. I was so sad to see my sheetie pie literally disappear... until one day, the week of my wedding, my dad took me out to lunch and handed me a gift. A small wrapped box. Sure enough, in that box was my long lost sheetie pie. I couldn't believe it. My dear old dad had been saving it for all those years. So, I smelled it and smelled it and smelled it and took it to my new home with Ceasar. Somehow it quickly dwindled and eventually became nothing. It disappeared again... until one day this year, towards the end of my pregnancy, my dear old dad handed me a gift. A small wrapped box. I couldn't believe it. He had saved this last handful of strings in his safety box for all these years. I was reunited with my sheetie pie. Here I was, 30 years old, about to bring 2 babies into this world, and I was given my crib sheet, my sheetie pie. The best gift ever! I smelled it, rubbed it on my cheeks and took it home with me.

How does this all tie together? Well, the pictures below tells the rest of the story. Tristen loves sheets on her face. Just the way I did! She loves the softness of them on her face and they automatically put her to sleep. Every single time! Here is my sheetie pie on MY daughter. And here is MY daughter quickly forming a bond with her own sheetie pie:). This just melts my heart! I can't help but fast forward 30 years and wonder...


4 comments:

The Morginskys said...

oh my gosh, i just started crying. over that smelly sheet! you use to rub it on your cheek and your eyes would roll back in your head a little:)
your dad is so great.

Margarita said...

ummmm.... I just had tears in my eyes too! That is crazy how things get passed on. She came from YOU, so what do you expect?!?!?!? That has got to be an amazing feeling. I am so happy for you and Ceasar! Felton has an amazing sister to look after :) It's good to see that you guys are doing great! I love you all!

alfballer25 said...

Lookslike Tristen has a little better taste with her silk sheet...hope it smells better than "sheetie pie." LOL

Valerie said...

That is the sweetest story, I loved it! Isn't it amazing how you witness little pieces of you in your children?! :-)