Friday, April 24, 2009

Pushing me through the finish line

Wow, that woman is my role model
That is what I call a supermom
Oh my gosh, if she is pushing two, then I have no excuses

Those were the comments I heard as I was running, pushing and barely breathing during the Sweetwater 420 run last weekend. It may sound like I am bragging by telling you those comments but I’m not. IT WAS HARD. I barely made it. The race was pretty much all up hill and I have run a total of 3 times in 2 years. And of those 3 times, they were about 1 mile each time. My friend Jenni invited me to run and I thought, why not? Ceasar was golfing and this would be fun to do with friends and Tristen & Felton. As I walked up to the registration I saw many eyes on me. Not the typical, aw cute, she has twins… but more like, this woman is crazy thinking she can push two babies on this course. A few people even said to me, you may want to consider running without them, this is a really hilly course. What am I gonna do? Leave them on the curb! So never pushing them up a hill and running, let alone never running in a race, we hit the streets. It was so empowering. I felt such a sense of pride. Because I work, I don’t have many opportunities with my children alone. When I am with them (at night and on the weekends), Ceasar and I usually have them together so it’s more 1 on 1 time. It’s rare that I am with them all by myself. And as you know if you read this blog, Ceasar does A LOT when we go out. So, I had them alone, down at Candler park running a 5k. It was awesome. Jenni was awesome. She relieved me and pushed the stroller at times that I literally thought I was going to vomit. My goal was to run the entire way. I was not going to give in and finish by walking. That is the athlete in me.

My college coach taught me how to push past my limits. Even when I thought it was impossible, she taught me to keep on going. In college, I was motivated by fear. She was a great coach! Now, I am motivated by my children. I just felt like they were so proud of me for making it and pushing them past the finish line. A 5k may not sound like a lot to some of you but I am the most of out of shape right now that I have ever been in my life. However, when I crossed the finish line with my 2 children, I felt like the most fit mom on the planet. It turns out that I didn't push them through the finish line, they pushed me.





3 comments:

The Thrashers said...

Awesome girl!!! I know that must have been so difficult. I get tired pushing my stroller just while walking!! Proud of you!

The Morginskys said...

so awesome! so question, were those pics BEFORE or AFTER the race?! either way, you look great!

The Browns said...

the pictures were before AND after:)...